Day One Agency—Campaign Magazine’s Agency of the Year and PRovoke Media’s Creative Agency of the Year—is looking for a VP, Communications to join our growing team. At your core, you’re a storyteller and know in your gut what will stop people in their scroll. You build earned programs that are culture worthy over pressworthy. This is a job for organized self-starters with agency experience. You’re flexible, used to wearing many hats, juggling several projects and balancing multiple metaphors. You work fast and are a master of collaboration. You get excited by the idea of working in a learning environment with the opportunity to grow, furthering your skills and career.
Our company culture is at the core of everything we do. It defines our vibe. It’s what makes every day, day one. We offer a highly collaborative environment (even as we work from a distance in this new remote world) where smart and hyper-passionate people come together to solve creative communications challenges. It’s no secret; we work hard, but only on the things we love. From the day this agency was created, we vowed to only work on projects that fire us up and that’s still true. It’s how we make projects like Chipotle’s multi-award-winning Freeting campaign come to life.
We emphasize and value all of our relationships—they’re what powers us. Our colleagues, clients, and partners are the most important part of our business. So if you want to join a fast-growing, award-winning, creative team, we’d love to hear from you.
This position is full time and is only available in Los Angeles.
The ideal candidate will lead the team to architect earned stories that earn a reaction. Their work should be deeply grounded in culture and should focus on connecting to the things people care about. Responsibilities for this senior role include serving as a day-to-day client and agency leader who will be instrumental in winning new business, coordinating with creative and story teams to develop and present compelling decks (filled with ideas that earn!), executing earned storytelling strategies that build strong brands and achieve key business objectives.
- Client Relations: Builds trust with client contact and teams.
- Strategy: Thinks with an integrated approach, going beyond just media relations to look at the big picture across influencer, social media and reimagined experiential. Evolve strategic thinking from ideation to compelling deck development, presentation and implementation. IAT experience and working with partner agencies is preferred.
- Account Management: High attention to detail across all team work product
- Media Relations: Knows the media that matters and understands what earns attention for media and their readers. Develops earned storytelling strategies connected to culture.
- Writing Skills: Excellent writing and editing skills (strong emphasis on deck development)
- Organization: Able to see the big picture while managing the tactical. Confidence and competency in reviewing team work products. Articulates ideas succinctly and is comfortable with public speaking and presentations.
- Bridging Across the Agency: Collaborates with peers to further the mission, goals and culture of the agency. Can bring the best of teams together in pursuit of unearthing and delivering irresistible ideas.
- Relentless curiosity: Always looking for what’s new, next and never been done before. Open to experimentation and pushing the boundaries.
- Large brand experience across the lifestyle and consumer category
- Track record of successfully developing earned storytelling plans connected to culture and social insights in pursuit of positive earned coverage and scroll-stopping programming
- Successful in managing multiple short- and long-term plans simultaneously
- Experience engaging mid- to senior-level clients
- Success in securing media coverage
- Experience mentoring junior team members
- Bachelor's Degree in Communications, English, Public Relations or Marketing preferred
- 10+ years of media relations experience; agency/client experience is a plus
- Pluses: prior PR agency experience; integrated communications strategy; brand partnerships; large-scale event activations
Major Bonus If You
- Experience working across a wide range of client categories– including lifestyle brands, food and beverage/spirits, consumer tech, fashion and more.
- Have IAT experience
Compensation + Benefits
We value all of our employees and are happy to provide comprehensive benefits to help support them holistically in the best way we can. We offer all our employees:
- Health Care (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Paid Time Off and Company Paid Holidays
- Summer Fridays
- Annual Technology Stipend
- 401K Retirement Plan with Company Match
- Paid Parental Leave
- Commuter Benefits
- Company Credit Card
- Uber Business Account
- New Business Referral Bonus
- Employee Referral Bonus