Day One Agency—Campaign Magazine’s Agency of the Year and PRovoke Media’s Creative Agency of the Year—is hiring! We’re looking for an Account Director to join our growing team. The right candidate is ambitious and hard-working. At your core, you’re a storyteller and know in your gut what will stop people in their scroll. You build earned programs that are culture worthy over pressworthy. You take pride in your work, sweat the small stuff, ask for forgiveness not permission, and go the extra mile (or three) to ensure that our clients are serviced in the best way possible. This is a job for organized self-starters with agency experience. You’re flexible, used to wearing many hats, juggling several projects and balancing multiple metaphors. You work fast and are a master of collaboration. You get excited by the idea of working in a learning environment with the opportunity to grow, furthering your skills and career.
Our company culture is at the core of everything we do. It defines our vibe. It’s what makes every day, Day one. We offer a highly collaborative environment (even as we work from a distance in this new remote world) where smart and hyper-passionate people come together to solve creative communications challenges. It’s no secret; we work hard, but only on the things we love. From the day this agency was created, we vowed to only work on projects that fire us up and that’s still true. It’s how we make projects like Chipotle’s multi-award-winning Freeting campaign come to life, why we reshaped the iconic Keebler brand for the digital age and how we relaunched the Razr flip phone to connect the new Motorola device to culture.
We emphasize and value all of our relationships—they’re what powers us. Our colleagues, clients, and partners are the most important part of our business. So if you want to join a fast-growing, award-winning, creative team, we’d love to hear from you.
This position is full time and is only available in Los Angeles.
The ideal candidate will help us arrive at earned stories that earn a reaction. Their work should be deeply grounded in culture and should focus on connecting to the things people care about. An Account Director of Communications at Day One should be ready to take on a fresh challenge every day.
Responsibilities for this senior role include serving as a day-to-day client and team lead who will be instrumental in developing and executing earned storytelling strategies that build strong brands and achieve key business objectives.
- Client Relations: Key contributor or owner of client workstreams, projects and programs; Builds trust with client contact and teams; Professional and able to analyze and contextualize information to inform strategic recommendations
- Strategy: Supports with crafting both year-long earned storytelling plans, as well as dedicated comms strategies around inbound client projects and initiatives. Thinks with an integrated approach, going beyond just media relations to look at the big picture across influencer, social media and experiential (when needed). IAT experience and working with partner agencies is preferred.
- Account Management: Displays attention to detail across all team work product; reviews and finalizes materials; mentors AM, SAE, AE, AAE, AC and Intern growth and development; leads programs as assigned
- Media Relations: Develops earned storytelling strategies and materials inclusive of culturally inspired editorial calendars and timely pitches. Pitches media, reviews and edits briefing materials; Identifies culturally relevant media targets (with a large emphasis on digital media); Builds media relationships on behalf of the clients and agency; Owns media opportunities from start to finish
- Writing Skills: Excellent writing and editing skills: Able to write and edit materials and provide direction to ensure quality control
- Organizational, Able to see the big picture while managing the tactical. Solutions oriented while demonstrating a high level of organizational skills; Sees projects through to completion; Great attention to detail; Confidence and competency in reviewing team work product; Articulates ideas succinctly and is comfortable with public speaking and presentations
- Bridging Across the Agency: Collaborates with peers to further the mission, goals and culture of the agency
- Relentless curiosity: Always looking for what’s new, next and never been done before. Open to experimentation and pushing the boundaries.
- Large brand experience across the lifestyle and consumer category
- Track record of successfully developing earned storytelling plans connected to culture and social insights - inclusive of timely media strategies, unique story angles and pithy pitch materials all in pursuit of positive earned coverage and scroll-stopping programming
- Successful in managing multiple short- and long-term plans simultaneously
- Experience engaging mid- to senior-level clients
- Success in securing media coverage
- Experience mentoring junior team members
- Bachelor's Degree in Communications, English, Public Relations or Marketing preferred
- 7-9 years of media relations experience; agency/client experience is a plus
Major Bonus If You
- Experience working across a wide range of client categories– including lifestyle brands, food and beverage/spirits, consumer tech, fashion and more.
- Have IAT experience and working with partner agencies
Compensation + Benefits
We value all of our employees and are happy to provide comprehensive benefits to help support them holistically in the best way we can. We offer all our employees:
- Health Care (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Paid Time Off and Company Paid Holidays
- Summer Fridays
- Annual Technology Stipend
- 401K Retirement Plan with Company Match
- Paid Parental Leave
- Commuter Benefits
- Company Credit Card
- Uber Business Account
- New Business Referral Bonus
- Employee Referral Bonus